Anthelmintics – Getting it Right
Choosing the right product and getting the most from it are key factors not only in the fight against anthelmintic resistance but also in ensuring optimum sheep performance at least cost.
In practice, however, this is easier said than done. Working your way through the wide range of products available, the chemical groups, withdrawal periods etc. is difficult and time consuming.
To try and tackle this problem and in response to requests from farmers at meetings and events, SCOPS have put together a leaflet available for download. The aim is to provide accurate, easy to use information on the products available in the various chemical groups and the parasites they control. We want you to get the most out of an anthelmintic every time you use it by helping you to::
- Choose the right product. Targeting the parasite(s) correctly means better results and reduces the risk you will need to treat again.
- Source a narrow spectrum product where appropriate, which will reduce selection for resistance to the broad spectrum groups.
- Use combination products only when they are necessary.
- Administer anthelmintics effectively and handle and store them correctly
- Do not mix anthelmintics with any other product prior to administration
- Check that the product has been effective by carrying out a simple drench test*. Resistance sneaks up on you and this will give you early warning. It will also make sure you are using an effective product that gives good worm control.
Remember, it is not too late to slow the development of anthelmintic resistance down on most farms. Act now and safe-guard the future of worm control on your farm.